Wogan’s Cavern

The name Wogan is thought to derive from the Welsh ‘ogof’ meaning ‘cave’. This natural cave was thought to have been used as a boat shed and store by the Normans who constructed a spiral staircase to the castle above.  It has not been excavated but Priory Farm Cave a short distance away was excavated by Dr A Hurrell Style and Mr E Dixon in 1908: finds provided evidence of occupation from as far back as the Old Stone Age and may be seen in the National Museum of Wales.