The Town Trail starts at the Town Hall.
The Main Town Trail is about 3 miles long – but there are shorter, alternative routes which are indicated in the text and on the map.
Pembroke Town Hall
A Georgian building dating back to 1820, the Town Hall has undergone much alteration. At one time the building was open at street level with an external staircase up to the Council Chamber above. At the rear was a large market hall, replaced in recent years by a new civic hall.
There is much to interest the visitor. On the walls of the foyer and staircase are the Pembroke Murals painted by George and Jeanne Lewis – a pictorial history of Pembroke through time, which is a must see. (A guide book is available). On the first floor (lift for disabled access) the former Courtroom now houses Pembroke Museum. Admission is free.
Look across the road.
The CLOCK HOUSE originally had an open market at street level. This was enclosed in its present form when the tower was rebuilt in the 1880’s. On the tower are two lead cherubs: legend has it that there were four cherubs, one on each corner. Allegedly, the church authorities objected to the 2 naked boys facing the churchyard: they were removed and placed on the pillars of Orielton Lodge opposite the Speculation Inn, Hundleton.
Cross at the pinch point and turn left. Proceed to St Mary’s Church entrance at the top of North Gate Street.