Golden Farm & The Old Workhouse
Look across the Mill Pond to RIVERSIDE originally built in 1839 as the Pembroke Union Workhouse following the Poor Law Act of 1834. It later was used as a maternity unit, a base for Social Services and a home for the elderly – it now serves as a homeless persons’ hostel.
To the right of Riverside, behind the line of bungalows is GOLDEN FARM which once served as a prison for French troops captured near Fishguard after the last invasion of mainland Britain in 1797. The romantic tale of their escape from Golden Prison aided by local girls is part of Pembroke legend.